aria2 is a lightweight multi-protocol & multi-source command-line download utility. It supports HTTP/HTTPS, FTP, BitTorrent and Metalink. aria2 can be manipulated via built-in JSON-RPC and XML-RPC interfaces – http://aria2.sourceforge.net/
Recently, I’ve talking with my friend about download-er running on server and can download torrent. Finally we found Aria2 a CLI download manager can satisfy all my demands. and we can control over HTTP protocol, so we can download over our server remotely viw HTTP Protocol. The Great Features from this web app is Web base we can use browser like chrome, safari and mozilla to interact with download, pause, and delete, very quickly and interactively.
aria2 is a utility for downloading files. The supported protocols are HTTP(S), FTP, BitTorrent, and Metalink. aria2 can download a file from multiple sources/protocols and tries to utilize your maximum download bandwidth. It supports downloading a file from HTTP(S)/FTP and BitTorrent at the same time, while the data downloaded from HTTP(S)/FTP is uploaded to the BitTorrent swarm. Using Metalink chunk checksums, aria2 automatically validates chunks of data while downloading a file.
We can user CLI command or via WebGUI over HTTP for working became easily using WebUI Aria2. Aria2 is FOSS (Free Opensource Software) you can make own code.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. – http://aria2.sourceforge.net/
- Multi-Connection Download. aria2 can download a file from multiple sources/protocols and tries to utilize your maximum download bandwidth. Really speeds up your download experience.
- Lightweight. aria2 doesn’t require much memory and CPU time. When disk cache is off, the physical memory usage is typically 4MiB (normal HTTP/FTP downloads) to 9MiB (BitTorrent downloads). CPU usage in BitTorrent with download speed of 2.8MiB/sec is around 6%.
- Fully Featured BitTorrent Client. All features you want in BitTorrent client are available: DHT, PEX, Encryption, Magnet URI, Web-Seeding, Selective Downloads, Local Peer Discovery and UDP tracker.
- Metalink Enabled. aria2 supports The Metalink Download Description Format (aka Metalink v4), Metalink version 3 and Metalink/HTTP. Metalink offers the file verification, HTTP/FTP/BitTorrent integration and the various configurations for language, location, OS, etc.
- Remote Control. aria2 supports RPC interface to control the aria2 process. The supported interfaces are JSON-RPC (over HTTP and WebSocket) and XML-RPC.
In this occasion i want to share how to setup your own server that can become lightweight downloader for torrent leecher. Here are the steps on how to setup aria2 client on a Unix/Linux system. I’ve install on 2 server and work correctly and this is i wanna install again i hope this is work check it out.
For FrontEnd Aria2 there are 2 kind :
- webui-aria2: Web browser interface for aria2 (2012 GSOC project)
- uGet: the Linux Download Manager (if you use linux you can use this is interface)
Now i’ll use webui-aria2 to user interface.
I’m using debian on my server so this code provided for debian and heritage debian like ubuntu and so on. For other platforms, have a look at http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/aria2/wiki/Download.
apt-get install aria2
When you have finished installing aria2, use this command to check
Install web-ui aria2
This is just web page so you can download manually from the github repository or you clone it from github. If you clone over git you must install git on your linux
apt-get install git
git clone https://github.com/ziahamza/webui-aria2.git
if done copy or move downloaded files to http server directory like /var/www/aria. Otherwise you can download manually on https://github.com/ziahamza/webui-aria2 extract them and put on http server directory like /var/www/aria.
Start using aria2
Very simple to use, no build scripts, no installation scripts. First start aria2 in the background either in your local machine or in a remote one. You can do that as follows:
aria2c --enable-rpc --rpc-listen-all
you can specify download directory using this command
touch /path/to/download/folder/session.txt && aria2c --enable-rpc --rpc-listen-all --save-session=/path/to/download/folder/session.txt --input-file=/path/to/download/folder/session.txt -x16 -s16 -k1M --dir=/path/to/download/folder
And if you wish aria2 run in background you just put code command –daemon on last command and to kill the process from the daemon using command pkill aria2c.